Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Challenging and Rewarding Career being a Physician's Scribe


Going to the doctor used to take hours and hours.  I would go in and sign the “sign in” log and look around for a seat.    I have tried getting an appointment early in the morning, but by the time I think about calling or have the need for an appointment most of the morning time slots are already filled.   So are the time slots for right after lunch.  I guess everyone is like me and they have come to know that if you are one of the first appointments you can in and out of your appointment faster.   So as it happens I usually get an appointment in the middle of the morning or in the middle of the afternoon.  Therefore the time I spend waiting to see the doctor is always longer than I had planned for or want it to be..   I go to a family doctor and so the people who are there to see him are mostly families.  Being in a state where it is the norm to have lots of children there always is little or NO room to spare in the waiting room.   May times I have had to stand against a wall to keep from being run over by the children or the toys they are playing with.  And noisy, oh yes that is an understatement.   I had thought about changing doctors but I really like my doctor.  He is the one who delivered me and so all my records and information are with him and his office.   However the last time I went to his office as I walked into his waiting room I noticed that there were not as many children or people waiting to see him.  I actually got a seat.  It was just a few minutes until my name was called to go back into an examination room.  When I questioned the nurse about why there were so few people there that day she told me things were moving at a more efficient pace in their office as the doctor had hired a physicians’ scribe to help him.  What was a “physicians’ scribe” I asked.  I was informed that it was someone who would shadow the doctor from room to room while he was attending to his patients.   This scribe would take down all the information pertaining to the symptoms or complaints of that particular person.  Therefore the doctor could take more time caring for the person and not have to continually stop and write thing down.   The office was finding now that because of this scribe things had been moving a lot more efficient in getting patients in and out of the examination rooms and that they were being able to see more patients in less time. When the doctor came in sure enough the scribe was right behind him.   My doctor set right to work in finding out just why I happened to be seeing him that day and I was through in no time.   If your doctor’s office is always crowded and you wait a long time to see your doctor you might want to tell them about hiring someone with training from https://www.scribeamerica.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment