Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Passing on my Baptism Dress

From the time a little girl realizes that she is a girl she will always want to look like a princess.  That has been my experience as I have raised seven daughters.   Don’t worry I did manage to slip one boy into that mix.   If you ask my son he will say that he always felt growing up like he had 8 mothers instead of one.   It was really easy to hand down clothing having so many of one kind.  I have had some of my daughters that only wanted to wear dresses.  Even when they were two years old and I would dress them in the cutest summer outfits if it was not a dress I would soon find her in her room pulling out articles of clothing from her drawers trying to find a dress or a skirt or simply running around in only a diaper refusing to wear anything but a dress or skirt. As time went on this daughter got married and has two daughters of her own.  She is finding that she too has a little one who is refusing to wear anything but dresses or skirts.  A new favorite line of mine to say now is “Payback is SWEET”.
  I finally learned with that child to start the day off in a dress therefore elevating extra laundry by having her changing all day.    Then there were other daughters who didn't care exactly what they wore except that it had to be “cute”.     The year finally came that my oldest daughter needed a Baptism Dress.   My mother was the type of person that saved everything.  As the special day came closer my mother showed up with the Baptism Dress I wore as a child.  I was so excited to have such a thoughtful mother that would think to save this special dress for me.   So my oldest wore my dress.   As you probably guessed with having so many children the next daughter’s time for a special dress came very quickly.   By letting my oldest wear my dress I wanted to keep the tradition of having that special dress go with that child.   I wanted each child to have special memories of that special day so I began looking for a white dress just for her.   A special white dress that she would be able to hand down to her very own daughter on that daughter’s special day.   And so began the new tradition of taking each daughter with me to pick out a perfect dress.  A dress that would make her feel exactly like a princess.  
 All of my daughters have daughters of their own now and there is something to be said about all the memories that come flooding back when I see my granddaughters wearing their mothers Baptism Dresses.   Since there is more than just one granddaughter in each family the mother of that family is making memories with the other girls by finding great dresses at www.dressedinwhite.com.                  

Oh yes, my only son…..he wore a jumpsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment